Freight shipping when done right can reduce your shipping cost by up to 75% but if not done right, you can kiss the savings goodbye! We understand that the rules and regulations of LTL freight shipping can sometimes seem overwhelming, even to the most seasoned person/shipper. For instance, you need to know how your product is defined by the freight industry (referred to as the product or freight’s NMFC), how to properly prepare your shipping documentation and how the freight should be properly packaged or handled. You’ll also want to evaluate carriers and the variety of options that are available to you for getting your freight to its final destination as quickly, reliably, and cost-effective as possible. Having decades of experience in the freight industry, Neighborhood Parcel is glad to share the following tips to make your next freight shipment a success:
Freight Shipping Tips
- Label your shipment with the pick-up and delivery locations to combat the displacement of cargo including a contact number for the shipper and consignee.
- Don’t try changing the delivery information once a shipment is in transit. This can result in additional fees due to the re-consignment of the goods.
- In the event that your freight arrives damaged, you MUST notate said damages on the delivery receipt. Failure to do so could result in the claim being denied.
- Stating a shipping commodity other than the commodity being shipped could result in a re-classification fee. If you are unsure about a particular freight class feel free to contact one of our sales representatives.
- Allow sufficient time for loading or unloading and communicate your loading or unloading time estimates to us. It is far better to order 4 hours of loading time in advance, and actually complete loading 2 hours, than to unrealistically estimate 2 hours and end up needing 4 hours. Keep in mind that for most modes of transport, loading time is limited to 2 hours (exceptions are drayage & LTL). Exceeding the allocated loading time for a shipment is known as “equipment detention” and can add substantially to your total freight charges. Communicate with your representative regarding your loading time needs to avoid unnecessary transit problems or additional charges.
- If a customer has agreed to pick up their shipment from the terminal of an LTL carrier this should be done within 48 hours. Beyond 48 hours the carrier has the right to charge storage fees. It is possible for us to negotiate a longer pick-up window with the carrier but this should be done prior to dropping off your freight.
- If the shipping or receiving site is stated to be a commercial location but later determined to be a residential location, the customer could be charged a residential fee. It is important to consider that some business locations could be considered residences simply because they are located within a residential area. It is advised to check with one of our sales representatives if you have any uncertainties.
- Changes to the specific requirements of the shipment, including but not limited to size (i.e., dimensions, weight, number of items), available times/dates for pickup/delivery, the type of equipment needed, or any additional services could result in additional charges.
- Do not discuss the financial components of the shipment with the drivers; typically they do not know all of the specifics that are agreed to between you and your sales rep, and often these conversations cause confusion and delay in your shipment.
- Quotes are often based on spot-market factors unless otherwise noted; keep in mind that unless a quote is booked at the time it is submitted, the final rate is subject to change.
Many customers don’t realize that bundling freight shipments is an easy way to save money. For every hundred lbs of freight, rates become lower and lower. For example, by combining two 100 lb shipments into one 200 lb shipment, you can significantly lower your shipping costs. This will take some coordination and planning, but when applied can be a great freight-saving tactic.
Neighborhood Parcel can help you with all your domestic and international freight shipping needs, our decades of experience and robust freight network can handle all your shipping needs. Our rates are often hundreds $$ below our competition, call (978)851-0199 or get a free freight quote today!
Fantastic service! I used to travel to the Boson location and always struggled with traffic and bad service. I did a quick Google search and came up with Neighborhood Parcel DHL service point. I used them for 3 years now and I am happy to endorse them for service and always having the best DHL rates. Why would anyone pay retail rates at DHL.com when they can use this company and support local businesses?
Le escribo esta carta para agradecerle por ayudarme a enviar mis documentos a Ecuador. El servicio siempre es genial, Sarah es muy servicial
I am glad this location is near my house. I can do all my business here and be in and out in minutes. On my last visit, I was able to have them print my documents, notarize them, fax them back to my office then FedEx the originals to my boss. Awesome!